From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:13:07 +0000
Dear Silly:

Normally I wouldn't waste any time on something like this, but today I
decided to make an exception.  You caught me in a good mood...

>I had a ferret who died and miss him a lot still, so I know how many of
>you feel,

Really?

>but don't you think it's going just a little far to talk about the
>rainbow bridge and talk as if they were your children?

Depends on each individual's definition of "a little far".  Everyone has
different ideas and beliefs.  How do you know, without a doubt, what does
or does not exist after we leave here?  And as far as the "children"
reference goes... RELAX a little!  Ever heard of taking things too
literally???

>I have a child and I have pets that are like a part of the family, but
>it is still not the same thing as an actual child.  Nor could a ferret
>ever replace a child.

I think most of us actually realize this, whether we have human children,
or not.  However, for those who haven't had or can't have children...
their companion animals are *like* children to them.

>I think some people are a little fanatical on this board if you don't
>mind me saying so.

I don't mind.  You are entitled to your opinions... as are the rest of
us.  Btw, do you know what the 'scroll' and 'delete' keys are for???

>When I joined this email list I thought it was to just get information
>about health issues with ferrets

That's okay... We all make mistakes sooner or later.  If that's what you
really want then subscribe to The Ferret Health List at
www.smartgroups.com.
(TIP: It's strictly for health issues, so any posts such as the one you
made to this list (as well as my reply) are not allowed, and will most
likely be refused.)

>and also to adopt ferrets out that need homes and so forth, but so many
>people are posting endless things that have little to do with the purpose
>of this group.  I can never read it

That "so forth" you so casually mention entails much more than you seem
to understand.  And as far as "endless things" go... Again, it depends on
each individual's definition.

>all because so many people are posting things about dead ferrets that it
>takes up a lot of unneccesary time just reading those things.

Ahem... Seriously... do you know what the 'scroll' and 'delete' keys are
for???  You also have the option of unsubscribing.  Something that seems
unnecessary to you may be exactly what someone else is looking for or
needs to know.  Also, if you were to pay attention... sometimes there are
things to be learned from those "dead ferret" posts.  Health-related
things, like how or why the little one passed.  Things that might someday
prevent your own beloved ferret(s) from suffering the same fate.

>People join this email group to ask medical questions and get advice
>about legalization about adopting ferrets, etc... I just wish people
>would stick to the purpose of this forum

Me, too!  *I* wish people would make sure they understood its purpose
before b*tch*ng and whining about it.

>and not take up so much space with all their strange beliefs about the
>rainbow bridge and so forth.

Do 'scroll' and 'delete' not mean anything to you!!!???  Hey, here's an
idea... why don't you start a list that suits *your* tastes and *your*
needs?

>I also got very offended when several of you posted things about feeding
>your ferrets live mice and rats and then making a joke of it.  Why is it
>that some of the ones so partial to ferrets don't also feel the same
>love and compassion for other types of animals?

I was just wondering this one myself, and why some are so crude and harsh
when referring to others' loved ones as "dead ferrets".  Btw, do you
belong or subscribe to any rat or mice lists?  Just curious.

>My child has pet rats and they are every bit as adorable and sweet and
>actually less hyper than most ferrets.  Yet many uncaring people on this
>forum look at them as only ferret food and that very much annoys me.

Your post suggests that you, yourself, are an uncaring person.  There are
thousands of subscribers to this list that are from different walks of
life, with different opinions, views, and ways of doing things.  You
don't have to torture yourself by continuing to read things that annoy or
upset you.  If you stay long enough you will realize this and learn to
scan each digest before reading it 'cover to cover'.

>why the double standard?  Do you think my daughter's pet rat that
>recently passed away will join your ferrets in the rainbow bridge and
>end up as food for them??

Can't answer this one.  I don't feed rats to my ferrets.  Not because I
have anything against them or anything - I just don't feed them to my
'kids'.  I'm not disagreeing with you about rats and mice.  They are
cute, sweet, and adorable.  Cows and pigs are, too.  Some probably think
chickens and turkeys are cute.

>Just curious.  I think some of you go too far on here.  I am sorry if
>that offends you, but it's how I feel and it's also true.

Your truth, maybe, but certainly not everyone else's.

Sonya
Still loving and missing Renny every day, in every way.