From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:20:43 -0400
<http://ferretfunhouse.blogspot.com/2007/11/boston-childrens-museum-and-other.html>Boston

Children's Museum and other things.

Hi, It's been a good long time since I wrote anything, so I figured I
ought to. Alicia needs more material for the news letter anyhow. On
September 15th, JJ, Austin, and I went into the Boston Children's
Museum for a Critter Day. We had a little section of the museum to set
up a play pen and introduce the ferrets to any kids that wanted to
meet them. We were there with some of the shelter folks, Alicia and
Dino, Susan and Skyla were there too. As well as some of the shelter
occupants. I for the life of me can't remember which one's, but JJ and
Austin were there, so that is all that matters!

It was a very fun day, we met quite a few people and introduced them to
the ferrets. JJ and Austin also got to get re-aquainted with some of
their pals from when they lived in the shelter. They enjoyed themselves
as much as we humans did. All that unsolicited attention! Finally they
got the limelight they deserved. On the drive into Boston, My 2 boys
were incredibly antsy, I took them in the detachable top floor of their
condo. I had it all neatly arranged. Corner litterbox in place, food
here, bed there, mat under all. By the time we got there, the litter
box and food had been spilled a couple of times, and the bedding was
everywhere! So they were full of energy for the day. The trip home was
the complete opposite. Once we got out of the building and into the car
and traveling, they settled right down and went straight into what I
like to call the ferret sleep of the dead. In this state it takes an
atomic bomb blast to get a ferret to stir. Even when you get their
attention, they will open up one eye and say, what? The first time I
encountered this phenomenon was with my first ferret, Mishka. I cam
home found her curled up and unresponsive and was really sad because I
thought she had passed on. When they get like that, they are limp as a
wet noodle, and will usually have a tongue hanging out. Then I
realized, wait a minute! She's very warm, and breathing! I was tapping
her on the forehead for a minute or so before she stirred and opened
one eye with the attitude of, what do you want?

Other things going on at home, I have instituted some tooth brushing.
Starting with Starlight and Ozzie who had some gross things growin in
their mouths. Now Starlight is a tiny little thing, we just weighed her
last week at the vets and she was at 640 grams, which is a good weight
for her. I bought a couple of children's ultra soft tooth brushes and
some kitten tooth paste and started out. When I scruff her, she can
make it with her neck, so there is nothing to grab. I will eventually
get a hold on her. But when I start brushing, then the fun begins! She
will thrash about like a little devil. I can't keep a grip on her. She
spins her bottom around like a top. She spends most of the day sleeping
and resting, she is almost 8, so she has plenty of energy to spare. I
will eventually get the deed done, but we are both usually covered in
tooth paste! After that it's Ozzie's turn. He lets me scruff him and
brush away for as long as I want. Go figure. This is the one that
Alicia sent with me because he chomped on too many people. He is fine
with me. Hasn't tried in a while. I think he is content. Well, that is
all for now. Life goes on, there are always plenty of N-bones and other
treats, who could ask for more?

Greg's Ferret Funhouse is home to a number of high risk FerretWise
kids. Behaviorally challenged and medically challenged ferret kids
that is.

Thanks for your support it helps keep them well fed and enjoying the
comforts of a loving home!

Alicia at www.ferretwise.org