From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:43:18 -0500
We got one from Doggone years ago but the design very often does NOT
work for them unless you also spring for the extender that provides
extra back support. Like dachshunds ferrets tend to need the extra
support for their longer backs.

Years ago someone on the FHL or the FML got a small and inexpensive
wire rodent cage, took off the bottom, used wire ties to attach
lightweight 360' casters with long pegs to each of the four corner
posts, cut the wire into an arch in the front for the head, and a
thin arch in the back for the tail, and then hung body and tail
hammocks inside. The person claimed that it worked extremely well.

As usual what matters most is finding the CAUSE of the weakness. Many
such causes are treatable, and some are extremely dangerous if not
treated. So, the first thing, as it ALWAYS should be, is a full vet
exam and testing including a CBC and a Chemistry Panel. Hind end
weakness is extremely common with a range of major illnesses in
ferrets, especially with insulinoma, but certainly not only with
insulinoma.

BTW, in the rare situations where there is nerve damage it is important
for people to know that nerve damage pretty often can heal if just
given enough time. It depends on the type of damage, which nerves are
damaged, and extent of the damage, because some types currently are
permanent. In the rare cases in ferrets where the problem is nerve
damage and it isn't lymphoma in the spinal cord, or an upper spinal
chordoma, or another of the rather rare causes of extreme spinal cord
damage in ferrets there may be the possibility of regrowth and repair.
Heck, even Christopher Reeves was regaining a bit of hand function
before his kidneys failed; our Spot (ferret) regained most leg function
after he threw a clot to his brain, and both times that I had severe
peripheral neurological disease (causes unknown but possibly Lyme both
times which were about a quarter century apart) I regained most lost
function within three years after beginning PT. So, continued PT,
perhaps sling walking , protection for the kidneys if the vets deem
that needed, etc. must continue. (Ask vet and see the FHL Archives and
FML Archives for information on Physical Therapy for range of motion
and muscle retention, and on how to make a pantyhose sling. Both URLs
are in my sig lines.)

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/