From:
Donna Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 18:59:21 -0400
The Washington, DC Animal Shelter currently has a young female ferret that
the police rescued from an abandoned car on Saturday.  Two of us from the
All About Bandit Ferret Shelter and Rescue in Annapolis, MD, were in the
shelter on Sunday morning to see her and hopefully have the ferret turned
over to us.  We learned about the ferret in the DC shelter on Saturday from
someone who knew that they had previously turned ferrets over to the All
About Bandit Shelter.  The little ferrret seems to be resting comfortably
for now but ferrets are still illegal in DC.  The DC shelter manager said
the "code" states it cannot release the ferret to an "out of state" shelter
and she did not plan to euthanize the ferret in the next couple of days
until conferring with one of her coworkers about the release.  Phone calls
are going to be made Monday morning to HSUS and some other local
organizations/individuals to try to rescue the baby ferret.  Does anyone
know someone in thr DC government who can we contact to gain release of this
ferret?  Can you give me any ideas or help in this critical situation?  If
so, please contact the All About Bandit Shelter & Rescue at 410/923-2417.