Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 10:33:58 -0400
Are your dog treats making your ferrets sick?

I was just reading an article in the paper about dehydrated dog treats,
such as pigs ears and hooves causing salmonella poisoning in people.  The
article said the people were supposed to treat the treats as raw meat and
use gloves or thongs to give the treat to the dog and then wash the area
the dog ate the treat with soap and water.  The article said that in
healthy people the symptoms of salmonella were flu like.

I was wondering if ferrets can get salmonella poisoning?  If so, are the
symptoms the same?  I was also wondering if rawhide could cause salmonella
poisoning?  The article didn't mention rawhide specifically, it just said
dried animal parts, which I would think rawhide is.  I can cut out the ears
and hooves but if I had to cut everything out I think my dog would be a
royal pain in my #!*%.

Does anyone know???

Joy