From:
debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:05:32 -0700
I'm curious and would love to hear how other ferret rescue/shelter
oporators got started.

I recieved my 1st ferret, a sprite kit, for christmas in 1996, bought
2 more in the spring of 1997 and then adopted 3 from a rescue in PA.
Before I actually started my rescue I had been a 1/2 way house for a
rescue in PA and would hold and care for ferrets for this rescue untill
a cage would open up for her to take these kids in. The deal was that
she would help with cost of food, suplies and medical care by giving me
part of the adoption fee when a ferret I had cared for got adopted. The
shelter operator didn't own up to our agreement so I decided to take
in care for, love and adopt these kids out myself. My rescue actually
got started in July of 1998 (Not offical till 1999) after I got a call
from a friend who owns a pet suply store. She had a 4 1/2yr old perfect
silver mitt sprite dumped on her when the ferret's owner went to
college and her parrents didn't want responsibily for the ferret. The
ferret's name was Spunky but I changed it to Renae. My friend Alice and
I noticed Renae was over wieght from being cage bound so we decided to
put her on a better diet and start and exercise program for her. I had
told Alice once I got my new Matins Cage I would come to get Renae and
bring her home. About a week later I picked Renae up and brought her
tomy vet. We noticed her back had an odd shape so we took some xrays.
According to my vet Renae's back had been broken and healed funny about
6months before I recieved her. I started Hydro & Physical theropy on
Renae to help build up her muscles. She did great for a couple of
months but then her hind end became paralyzed in December of that year.
I realy became angry at this point at her previous owners, not because
she got injured, but because they never to our knowledge sought medical
attention for Renae. I admired Renae's courage and strength during her
declining health from her previous injury. Renae never bit, never
complained whe she was in pain or when I had to express her bowls &
bladder 4-6 times a day. She went every where with me and was adored by
everyone who met her. Renae made me realise that every ferret no matter
what theistory, whether they were old, ill, handicapped or imperfect,
needed a chance at a good & loving life.

I lost Renae on March 6th 1999, a week before my 29th birthday. Her
loss was very difficult for me and I decided at that time to give my
ferret rescue a name, "Fuzzy Loving Ferrets Rescue".

Soon after I had taken Renae in (September 1998), I had a tattoo made
up with her being the model with angel wings and a halo. Renae is
memmorialised on my left forearm and will forever remain in my heart.
This image became the logo for Fuzzy Loving Ferrets Rescue as a tribute
to the little girl that made me realise how important ferret rescues
are and that every ferret deserves a chance at love & happiness dispite
any imperfections they may have.

Debi Fuzzy Loving Ferrets Rescue