From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 17:38:03 -0400
Our Representative to the NH House got this today.  While MI is going all
out to kill an innocent children's pet, some states are showing their
appreciation for the ferret as a pet and working animal.

FERRET APPRECIATION DAY
JUNE 12, 1997

WHEREAS: Mustela furo, commonly known as the ferret, is truly a domesticated
animal with a long and colorful history of faithful service as a working
animal, and a pet; and

WHEREAS: Ferrets are the third most popular companion animal in New
Hampshire after unrestricted ownership of ferrets was granted in December
1992; and

WHEREAS: On June 12, 1995, New Hampshire was the first in the nation to
grant a statewide quarantine period for properly vaccinated ferrets; and

WHEREAS: Ferret owners across the United States regard New Hampshire as a
leader for the ethical treatment of ferrets; and

WHEREAS: As a result of the New Hampshire law granting quarantine to
properly vaccinated ferrets, we now celebrate an annual Ferret Awareness Day
in Merrimack, NH where ferret owners from all over may bring their pets
without fear of confiscation; and

WHEREAS: These freedoms are accompanied by the responsibility to care
properly for ferrets, which includes procuring vaccinations in accordance
with health requirements; training these animals to behave within the
context of domestic life; and fighting abuse, neglect, and abandonment of
these animals; and

WHEREAS: Ferrets have earned and won a place in the hearts and minds of the
citizens of New Hampshire by bringing them unlimited joy and happiness;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JEANNE SHAHEEN, Governor of the State of New Hampshire,
do hereby proclaim June 12, 1997 to be FERRET APPRECIATION DAY and urge all
the citizens of the state to take cognizance of this event and participate
fittingly in its observance.

<Original signed by Jeanne Shaheen, Governor of New Hampshire>