Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 2009 08:27:24 -0700
I received the following from a friend who is a retired lobbyist for
the Michigan Humane Society.

Her comment:
"Just got this from the USDA and thought I would pass it on to anyone
who might want to keep track of inspections. It looks like the USDA
is beginning to realize there are concerns about random source animal
dealers throughout the U.S. Obviously, the interest and concerns are
such that the department has decided to disclose more than has been
customary."

I forwarded the information to Linda Iroff for her intake on if/how
this would impact our ferrets and she replied this is excellent news
in that "in the past, if you wanted to know the results of a USDA
inspection at a licensed facility, you had to submit a request under
the Freedom of Information Act and wait several weeks for the result.
That's why it took us so long to discover that Doug McKay had been
inspected and shut down, giving us the chance to go in and get the
ferrets. Now this info will be searchable on the web. "

Linda suggested this info would be beneficial to the FML. Please read
the following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Sandra L. Carlton
  (616)754-6066
  Subject: USDA-APHIS Stakeholder Announcement
  Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:35:17 -0400

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection
Service (APHIS) is pleased to announce that beginning May 26, 2009, all
Animal Care inspection reports for Class A, B, and C licensees and
Class E, H, and T registrants (animal breeders, dealers, exhibitors,
and registered exhibitors, intermediate handles, and carriers
respectively) will be available online at
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/.

You have received this announcement because of your recent Freedom of
Information Act (FOIA) requests for documents related to APHIS Animal
Care's licensing and inspection activities through the Animal Welfare
Act. This transition will make these documents conveniently accessible
to you, should you require further information in the future. Attached,
you will find a copy of the stakeholder announcement from Dr. Charles
Gipson, Deputy Administrator for Animal Care, APHIS. This document can
also be found on our Web site at
<http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/stakeholder/stakeholder5_13_2009.pdf>

Please note that after May 26, 2009, you will no longer need to
submit a FOIA request in order to access these inspection reports.
In addition, the Web site will be updated monthly in order to\ensure the
most up-to-date information is available.

We recognize your concerns related to our Agency's enforcement of
animal welfare standards, and welcome your continued feedback as
we make a continued effort towards openness and transparency.

Dee Gage
www.westmichiganferretconnection.com