From:
Michael Ochs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 09:40:34 EST
Hi all,
        After months of not being able to read the list due to the horror
of having to finish a long, grueling document, I have finally been freed
from my prison.  I have to report on the demise of Inigo, our eldest and
first ferret, a couple of months ago.  He died after a very short illness
which I think was really just extreme old age.  We figured him for at least
8 years old, so we know he had a long and mostly pleasant time here (at
least after we got him four years ago).  He is survived by his fellow
carpetsharks Fezzik, Alexis, and Buttercup.
        Buttercup continues to go into heat every year even though she
should not be able to.  Desiree Kehr of the Montgomery Co. Ferret Rescue
breeds her for us, then a few months later her swelling goes back down.  I
am not really sure the breeding does anything of if it just tracks the
seasons.  However, she never seems to be bothered by this cycle.
        Now, to the topic at hand, from the last FML

>        First, Facile, our 5 mo old sable female, had a wierd
>episode.  Last night, she went to sleep under the stove; when
>she was prompted to get out, she became lethargic, her gait was
>unsteady, and ultimately she became almost inert, for about two
>hours.  Very, very scary.  Ultimately, she vomited twice, and
>gradually regained some ferret energy, in short bursts.
        Is this a gas stove?! It sounds like a carbon dioxide problem or
possibly a small gas leak... quick! call the utility co and have it checked,
this can KILL everyone in the house in short order.
(worse is person says, "I don't feel well," goes to bed and essentially
suffocates)
____________________end quotation

I don't think it can be a gas leak, since the gas company adds hydrogen
sulfide to the gas.  This stuff stinks in the smallest quantities (rotten
egg smell) and you could certainly smell it if you had a leak.  If the
stove is not on, then you should not get a carbon monoxide build-up, which
is a concern with any system which burns gas.  My guess would be poor
circulation of air under the stove (but you could not know without taking a
close look).  This would lead to the ferret using up the available oxygen
(high metabolism, fast use of oxygen) and creating a large concentration of
carbon dioxide.  Carbon dioxide poisoning occurs only in acute form (no
long term problem), so if the ferret has recovered, all should be well.
Personally, I would block off the stove and not worry unless symptoms
continue or recur.

                        Best to all from Mike, Erica, Ian
                                                Fezzik, Alexis, Buttercup...