From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:17:17 -0500
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-02/pu-sfm021207.php

>Public release date: 12-Feb-2007
>
>Contact: Susan A. Steeves
>765-496-7481
>Purdue University
>Scientists find method to pick noncompetitive animals, improve
>production
>

>WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - A new statistical method of determining genetic
>traits that influence social interactions among animals may provide for
>more productive livestock.
>
>Scientists from Purdue University, the Netherlands and England
>designed mathematical equations based on traits to choose animals that
>are more congenial in groups, said William Muir, a Purdue Department
>of Animal Sciences geneticist. The new method is a tool that may
>contribute both to animal well-being and to securing the world's
>future food supply, including possibly permitting more animals to
>be domesticated, Muir said.
>
>The tool makes it possible to design selective breeding programs to
>effectively reduce competitive interactions in livestock, he said.
>The method also aids in predicting how social interactions impact
>the natural evolution of species.
>
>Muir and his colleagues write about the tool and its effectiveness in
>two papers published in the current issue of the journal Genetics. The
>journal's cover highlights the work with a photograph that Muir took
>of various colorful fish species interacting in a simulated ecosystem
>at the Monterey, Calif., aquarium.
>
>"There is an inherited part of the associations among animals that has
>profound effects on performance," Muir said. "It's called competition.
>Animals compete for food, space, territory and mates."
>
>In the first of the two papers, Muir and his colleagues explain the
>tool they developed to determine inherited traits that contribute to
>interactions among both individual animals and groups. The second
>paper refines the methodology and validates it by applying the tool
>to a flock of chickens.
>
>In previous research, Muir showed that choosing less aggressive
>animals from a group for breeding purposes increases productivity. In
>the latest research, the scientists show that aggressiveness and all
>other traits affecting social interactions are inherited and can be
>estimated. They also found that by using the new tool they were able
>to confirm two-thirds more inherited trait variations that impact
>social interactions than could be identified with classical selection
>analysis.
>
>"Now we have a tool to explain how species in nature evolved in
>response to each other," Muir said. "It can be applied across species
>and can tell us how social interactions developed in the past and will
>develop in the future between individuals and among various animal
>species.
>
>"This is important because the most stable ecosystems are those that
>have multiple species that cohabitate. Natural selection is nature's
>way of keeping the ecosystem in balance."

> [...]

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: