From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 14:18:48 -0500
FRONTLINE: I just had a lengthy discussion with several veterinarians on the
latest flea control products, Program, Advantage, and Frontline.  Their
conclusion is that Frontline is the safest and most effective for ferrets
because the toxicology reports showed no problems in overdose tests at 100
times the normal rate on kittens.  Advantage showed dosing problems on
kittens at substantially fewer doses (sorry I forgot the exact number
already).  Additionally, Frontline comes in a spray that can be applied
lightly to the entire body instead of a concentrated drop at the base of the
skull.  The chemicals penetrate the sebaceous glands; thus, even if your
ferret has a bath, the glands keep on exuding flea repellent (unlike the
Advantage product).  Program was not recommended by any of the 3 ferret vets
I spoke to, given that it takes many months to effectively reduce the flea
population and in the meantime, your ferret could suffer from anemia,
itching, and intestinal parasites from flea ingestion.  Frontline is
immediate.  All three vets said, like Frontline, that the product has not
been specifically tested on ferrets, but they felt comfortable recommending
the spray over the drops, and the Frontline drops over the Advantage drops.

I matched TLE's $100 credit card donation to the Kodo fund. Did you?

- Erika Matulich
  President, Ferret Lovers' Club of Texas