From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:48:27 PDT
I do not know Charlie Herring but I have seen several of her ferrets and
I know a person who has two of them.  Both of these ferrets are happy,
healthy and larger than most.  If there is something we should beware of
with the stock, I would like to know what it is.

Somebody said something about colors.  What about colors?  I have seen some
very unusual colors of ferrets in my time, including two sables that had
a somewhat orange tint.  One person thought it was due to diet, but the
ferrets were fed a mix of Totally Ferret and Mazzuri.  The vet gave these
sables a clean bill of health and said that these ferrets were simply an
unusual color.  One shelter I visited called them "Rue" ferrets.

Also, why are people assuming that a place that has 400 ferrets is
automatically going to be bad?  It is kind of funny that the same folks
who support Marshall Farms (constantly defend them any time there is
debate) are the same folks who opposed Charlie and are also bashing her.

Let's give the new people the benefit of the doubt and until closer
observation can be made (an actual visit to the facilities), quit
speculating and being negative.  I don't care how long these people have
been in ferretry (4 years, 3 years, 2 years), longevity certainly does not
make one an expert or a knowledgable breeder.  You can say, "wow, that
person knows alot because they have had ferrets for 20 years" but it does
not mean squat.  A breeder can breed ferrets for a long time but it does
not make them a good breeder.  Please do not evaluate based on how long a
person has been involved with ferrets.  I know plenty of people who have
learned tons in a short period of time and then there are those who have
been involved in ferretry for a long time that don't know much (or are
stuck in their old ways).  It is how much time, effort and research you
are willing to do that counts (money is a factor too!).  If we are going
to fault a breeder for producing unusual colors, then shouldn't we also
speculate about how Angoras are produced?  Let's remember that the further
from the gene pool, you often see problems (health and/or behavioral).  I
have heard this from the so-called "experts" but also from a few vets.  Do
I subscribe to the belief?  I am not sure since I am not an expert in the
field of genetics.

I also don't understand why it matters how many ferrets one enters in a
show.  Are there limits?  This is called good marketing.  Again, these
people are bashed because they "get it" and are obviously a threat to the
smaller breeders (experienced or inexperienced).  I wont name, names, but
I do ask that the unfair assumptions and bashing of Charlie, stop.  Until
someone can come forward and state their reasons for why Two Pole was so
bad, which I have not seen, I suggest it stop.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.