Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:13:50 +0000
This is in response to the inquiry by Devin Graham questioning about
which airlines allow ferrets.

Unfortunately, most airlines are even less understanding about ferrets
than ignorant people. When I flew recently on United airlines and asked
them if they would allow my ferret in the cabin or passenger area, the
rude woman said to me: "We don't allow rodents on the plane." Rodents?!
Anyway, the only airlines I could find that allow ferrets in to be in
the cabin or passenger area are Delta and America West. I'm not sure
if they have flights from Texas to Alaska, but Delta should. Also know
that you will probably have to pay a fee to do this. If I were you,
I'd also call the airlines you're considering to make sure. Airline
policies change all the time. You will also need proof of ownership and
a clean bill of health from your vet that is no more than 10 days old
at the time of the flight. However, like I said before, these policies
may be outdated as they're a few months old. Call around to the
airlines you're interested in and find out all of their ferret
policies.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find an airline that will let you
fly with your fuzzies! And I commend you for trying to keep them -
no matter how much of a pain it may be - rather than give them up.

[Moderator's note: The policies of both Delta and America West (which
is really US Airways now) have changed so neither allows ferrets. BIG]