From:
Mary and Modern Ferret magazine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 22:12:18 -0500
Edward:
The distended anus you described in Balin is just what our little Knuks had
(Knuks is a girl). We put antibiotic ointment on her butt and switched over
to pelleted recycled newspaper litter (Yesterday's News). She got better.
Then she got worse again. Just last week, the vet did a "pursestring" on her
butt (that's a suture that acts like the drawstring of a purse). He did this
because he thinks her problem is the result of her anal tissue being damaged
during her descenting operation. She is currently healing from the surgery
(very well). I'd suggest you take Balin to your vet to have his rear checked
out. Sometimes ferrets can get parasites or bacterial infections that can
cause the same problem. Remember to bring a stool sample with you so your vet
can check for anything out of the ordinary.
As for the sneezing, I don't know what could cause it, but if the other
ferrets had colds, I wouldn't rule it out.
Good luck. I hope Balin is better quick!
--Mary