From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:07:03 -0500
Mia wrote:
>Due to the overwhelming negative response I received to my post that due to
>my unexpected pregnancy we were wishing to place our retired breeders ASAP,
>including numerous flames (How dare I get pregnant) and 3 suggestions that
>I get an abortion so that I may better devote my time to the ferrets.  We
>are closing our doors, I no longer wish to be a part of a community that
>can't even be kind for the sake of the animals that we are all supposed to
>care about.

I don't know that I've ever been so appalled at something I read on the FML
as I have at this.  It's been my experience that while the membership of
the FML is comprised of some really good people, there are also some real
jerks (and considering what a few suggested to Mia, "jerks" is putting it
mildly) out there.  Mia has done a lot for ferrets; her decision now
doesn't negate the many good things she has done, although it seems that
some people are too small to see that.  Shame on those people, whoever they
are.

On to another subject...

Matt wrote:
>To the person who has not tried putting "furotone" (?) or even ferretone on
>their ferret, try it!  It works as long as the ferret likes the ferretone.
>Just put it on their belly and put the ferret's nose in it.  While licking,
>clip those claws quickly.  It will work as long as you ferret is not too
>much of a squirmer and lets you touch its feet.

I have to agree with this, but I also want to add another suggestion as
well.  If you're using "people" nail clippers, you may want to try using
nail clippers made especially for animals' nails.  Even with the Ferretone,
I used to still have trouble with Zorro especially on occasion.  He would
jump and squirm every time he heard the "snap" of the nail clippers.  But
when I switched to the ones made especially for animals, I had a much
easier time because they're much quieter.  It may be that your ferret
doesn't like the sound of the clippers.  And besides, the animal nail
clippers don't splinter their nails like "people" clippers can.

Dooks,
Lisa
Mom of Zorro, Claudia, Loki, Fezzik, and Crysin
"Not knowing everything is all that makes it ok, sometimes."
            --Delirium of the Endless
              from Neil Gaiman's _Brief Lives_