Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1993 07:36:43 -0500
And we weren't thrown out when used one hand to keep her from
disappearing out of sight, and the to handle the 12 cm thick
books. I'll take Alison another time.

To make a short story even shorter, the Swedish word for
ferret/polecat, "ILLER" is first recorded to have been use in
print in 1534, and it's mentioned lots of more times during the
later half of the 16:th century in different forms "HILLER" and
"ILLAERA" also beeing common. As far as I understand, it's the
polecat they talk about.

The word "FRETT", for the domestic albino is first mentioned in
1797, and the next time almost a century later. As this word can
only be used correctly for albinos who don't stand our climate,
it's practically not in use any more. Instead, the correct name
for ferrets is "TAM-ILLER" (with or without hyphen), which
literally means "domestic polecat". This is probably not a good
thing, as it can lead to confusion, almost never to our ferrets'
advantage.

Conclusion: Ferrets were probably imported in the last decades
of the 19:th century and mostly kept for hunting.

She handled the trip to the library real well, considering I've
never taken her for such a long expedition outside of a transport
cage before. Walking there and back took about 1 1/2 h, and it
was a good thing I brought the duffel bag she often sleeps in, so
she had something to ride in. She had her head out most of the
time, but walked long stretches, but that was easier on the way
home, so she obviously has a sense of direction. She also
discovered that you can ride in the hood of my jacket. We met
lots of people, and she was friendly with them all, although she
looked like she wanted to hide.

(I'll be going to Patagonia Jan 15:th - Feb 7:th, and when I'm
coming home I don't guarantee I'll read all of 3+ weeks mailing
lists, but I'll read all that's been mailed to me personally.)
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]