Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 18:14:32 -0700
>From:    Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Illinois help still needed re "breeder" Robbins
>Illinois people (and everyone else too) are urgently needed to get involved
>with shutting down the ferret/pot bellied pig breeding operation of Rick
>Robbins, Granite City, IL. (If you know anyone in Illinois, **please** pass
>this info on to them--cat, dog, pot bellied pig people as.  well as ferret
>people).

Sorry folks...what is being said may well be true, but..............Any
attempt to stop this person from doing lawful business...he WAS granted a
permit by an official inspector....would open that person or persons or
organizations to some pretty horrific lawsuits ~~IF~~they couldn't prove
cause.

My advice folks is to shy away from this one.  It could put the whole FML in
legal jeopardy.  A well written letter to the operators of the list-serve
device would, I guarantee...shut it down.  The City University of New York
can't afford to be involved in any controversy such as this....!

This is legal stuff..not personal.....I too have gone after some rather
shoddy operations..even spoken here about them, but..I have all the proof
and have not asked for any outside participation.

MC (Joe)

(BIG..I really would look at this a little more carefully!  I sure would
hate to see my favorite reading material put into jeopardy!)

[Moderator's note: Hard to say if it's a big problem or not -- I've spoken
to the University's legal department about such things a few times and it's
as clear as mud.  Indeed, the University lawyers have become aware of the
existence of this list, and many more like it -- and the legal issues are
not trivial nor well explored.  I'm not trying to say any law suit against
me or the university will never have merit, but I do think it's murky.

But, I'm not volunteering to be a test case and thus I try to follow rather
strict guidelines regarding things like intellectual property and privacy
rights, tho no telling what will happen if legal papers are ever actually
served.  Guess the outcome depends upon who has more cash?  :-(   BIG]