Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:04:13 -0700
We have been doing the des implants for over two years with good
results and no problems that we are aware of till now. I recently lost
Korbel soon after getting the Deslorelin 4.mug [Correction: 4.7mg]
implant. She received the implant on April 6th. That night she had
diarrhea that lasted 5 days or so, then it cleared up. April 25 she
had bloody diarrhea. She was rushed to the vet and received immediate
supportive care. Later that day at the vets she started bleeding from
the mouth. Korbel could not be saved. Necropsy showed no tumors,
healthy looking adrenals. The liver was discolored and there was
pooled blood in her abdomen.

A friend lost a ferret recently with the same symptoms, her ferret had
received the implant, but not recently. His necropsy also showed pooled
blood, discolored liver.

Last Thursday another friend implanted her ferret. The ferret started
having diarrhea that night, and is at her vets today bleeding from the
mouth. This ferret and mine had implants from a recent batch. This
batch is packaged differently and has a bigger needle than what we had
been getting.

My vet feels this is not a coincidence and is contacting the supplier
and consulting with other vets.

We are not going to do anymore implants until our vets get this figured
out. As it is now, there are far to many worries.

Folks, if any of you have had a similar experience, please contact me
privately if you are not comfortable posting to the FALL.

I do know there is a problem, and personally know of two ferrets that
have died with the same symptoms. I have not yet heard how the other
one is doing at the vets. I just hope he can make it.

Ardith