From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 05:10:59 -0400
RE: CLUMPING LITTER:

NO NO NO!  Please don't use scoopable litter on the ferrets!  It's very
dangerous.  They can get harsh respiratory problems from smelling the dust,
not to mention what gets clogged in their noses when they go snorting it,
which they will.

Use pine pelleted litter (not pine shavings or chips; they're just as bad as
scoopable).  I don't know where you are from, but around here (PA) I buy
Pine Fresh cat litter at the Weis Markets.  There's also a completely safe
brand called Feline Pine that from what I understand can be purchased at pet
stores (none around here, though).

The pine pelleted litter is fabulous.  It completely neutralizes all ammonia
odors, there is really NO smell that is associated with this stuff except if
you don't change it soon enough it will smell a little like sawdust.  It
also doesn't need changing nearly as often as clay litters, due to the low
odor.  You only use about 1/2 inch of the stuff in the litter box.  When the
furballs pee on it, it expands, so if you use too much of it your litterbox
will overflow.  1/2 inch is perfect.  It costs about $2 per 5 lb bag, and
that fills 3 1/2 litterboxes here (van ness small litterbox).  The stuff is
a godsend.  Too bad my cats won't use the stuff, but the ferrets have no
problem with it.

Hope this helps.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady