From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:25:46 EDT
Hello all--
    I found Gary H.'s post on dealing with biting very interesting, but I
would like to add my own experience to the subject.  I absolutely agree
that ferrets are very intelligent, that they learn, and that they love
their friends, but they are also definite individuals.  I know that for my
ferret, Amelia, if she nips me and I tap her on the nose or hold her up and
tell her no, she takes this as confirmation of her invitation to play,
since I am never ever willing to hurt her back as much as she unknowingly
hurts me.  Sometimes holding and cuddling her works-- this is ideal because
we both like it!  But sometimes she is too determined to play-fight-- in
those moods, if I tried stroking her belly, it would only egg her on.  So,
on those occasions, if I really can't handle her behavior, I will put her
in the cage.  Note however that I leave the door open.  It's only to remind
her that her behavior was not acceptable (she hasn't lived in the cage for
months anyway).  Usually this works, esp.  since she passes by the food
bowl on the way out :-) So, just my two cents about ferret personality.

    On a different subject (I know, I know, new post, new subj.  heading),
is anybody else's ferret eating like a little piggie all of a sudden?  Is
this a reaction to the changing season?

    And, since I'm already off on a tangent, here's another one: I don't
think the Slippery Elm bark question was answered on the list, I'd be
interested to know what the answer was.  I use the stuff for my own sore
throats but it tastes horrid and I can't imagine any ferret willing to drink
it down!  Wouldn't stressing a ferret with an ulcer be just what you
wouldn't want to do?

  OK, I'll stop.  Happy Wednesday.

Regina and Amelia Bedelia Earhart Ferret