From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 07:54:05 -0400
>From:    robert sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Older MF Ferret
>
>But now(1 1 /2 months later she is not eating.  She will eat a very
>small amount if I hand feed her (I have her on a wet diet for the time
>being.  She weighs less than a pound, so she can not afford to lose any
>weight.  She still drinks water, plays some, but sleeps alot.  Sometimes
>she goes through a short period where she has trouble holding her head up.
>We know that she has arthritis, but as far as we know there is nothing else
>wrong with her, other than age.  Since this is my first experience with a
>very old ferret, I would like some advice on what to expect and how to
>handle it.

HI--

A quick note on extra food an calories until you can determine what your
ferret's problems are at the vet.  Do get her to a vet ASAP.

Mix your ferret's wet food with Nutrical, Ferretvite, Furovite or any other
food supplement designed for cats or ferrets to her her extra calories.
You can also add Boost or Ensure to the mix, use vanilla only for extra
calories.  Consider adding Pedialyte to the ferret's drinking water and
keep it in a water dish to help prevent dehydration.

We took in an older ferret from a shelter.  His name is Lucky and he is
believed to be 8 yrs old.  He still runs, jumps, plays and eats like a 3
yr old.

KG