From:
Charles Onken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:49:36 -0400
We noticed a small lump on Valentine's left side, directly behind her rib
cage a couple of weeks ago.  Kind of scary, since it has been only 3 weeks
and 1 day since Snowball went to the bridge.  We took her to the South
Orange Animal Hospital (Orlando) Tuesday afternoon.  Two of the vets there
went to school with Dr Jeff Shaffer, and they were recommended to us by
him.  Dr Jeff is about 50 miles further away than the vets we took her
to.  As expected, the vet who saw Valentine said, "We will give her an
exam and x-ray, and then call Dr Jeff if needed."

The x-ray showed an enlarged spleen.  After consulting with Dr Jeff, we
were told to watch her for upset stomach or diarrhea, and to just keep an
eye on the spleen.  If it gets too large, other options will be explored.
So nice to have good vets close by and a ferret expert vet just a phone
call away.

Has anyone had experience with a ferret with an enlarged spleen, and what
was that experience?

By the way, the visit and x-ray came to $102.00.  Try that with a people
doctor.  Also, along that line, have you ever noticed that vets seem to
take more interest in their patients than regular doctors do with people?
Every vet I have ever known had a much better "bed side manner" than most
doctors.  (Maybe they have better patients?) There are a couple of vets I
have known that I would much rather go to for MY medical problems that
some doctors I have seen!!

Charles, Ag, Donna and Valentine
Missing Cujo, Bandit and Snowball