From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1993 09:07:27 -0400
Excerpts from mail: 13-Aug-93 Ferret List Issue 548 by Ferret Mailing
List@ferr
> before. He has a mark on the back of his right ear. I'm not sure if it's a
> tatoo (aren't those usually *inside* the ear?). It appears to be four small
> dots in a rough diamond pattern. I can't tell if it's a tatoo or just natural
> pigmentation; it's hard to get him to sit still while I fold his ear forward
> to get a look at it. Does this sound like a tatoo of a known breeder? It'd be

One of my ferrets has a tattoo ... I've been told that Marshall Farms
tattoos their ferrets. In case you're interested, the ferrets I've seen
with tattoos have all been very nice-tempered ferrets. The tattoos are
little blue circles. I've been told that they get one when they're born
(I think someone said left or right, depending on sex) and another when
they're neutered. So my Skittles has two blue dots on her right ear. (I
*think* it's her right ... I'm going from my admittedly poor memory)

If you want to get a good look, hold the ferret *firmly* by the scruff.
Even squeeze a bit, and they're go totally limp (like kittens). I use
this technique to clean the ears. Wouldn't want to risk hurting them
with a q-tip. :)

--Barb--