From:
jennifer robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 06:53:14 -0800
I'm posting this information as well as providing a direct response to
clarify some information regarding the feeding of bone.

Ferrets who eat raw do indeed pass small bits of bone in their stool.
However, there is no blood in the stool from bone. The edges of the
bone are rounded by stomach acids - raw and properly cooked bones not
not cause digestive problems.

I'm suspecting your chicken may have been dry-cooked, or enough of the
water evaporated during the cooking process to the have the effect of
dry cooking of bones. Dry cooking of bones actually hardens bone making
it prone to splintering. Wet cooking of bone softens bone, and the
result is a softer bone that will not represent any danger to your
ferret. Bones that are cooked for consumption should be completely
submerged throughout to entire cooking process to ensure there is no
risk splintering.

It's a very good idea to take you ferret to the vet. I'm thinking that
some laxatone/vaseline or canned pumpkin (the plain kind without the
spices!!!) may help lubricate your ferret's system , which may help to
pass the bone. Another possibility , which may be even better, may be
to try some slippery elm bark. Slippery elm bark forms a mucilage-like
"gel" that coats the digestive tract, end-to-end. It has
anti-inflammatory and healing benefits as well. I would also keep your
ferret on a soft diet (jars of the turkey/chicken/meat second stage
baby food) during the healing process.

Last but not least, I am NOT a vet, so please do NOT try this without
consulting with your vet first.(If you've already had your appointment,
you can probably get your questions answered over the phone. I suspect
your vet may prescribe some antibiotics and perhaps recommend an x-ray
along with some other helpful treatments so you'll want to make certain
that whatever you do compliments your vet's treatment.

Sending ferret prayer and wishes for a speedy recovery for your ferret.

-jennifer

Slippery elm bark recipe (for powdered elm bark)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Put 1/2 cup of cool purified water into a glass or stainless steel
saucepan. Add one slightly rounded teaspoon of slippery elm powder (or
you can open and empty the contents of 5 capsules into the pan). Whisk
with a fork until the powder blends with the water. Note: Always blend
it in the cold water first. If you add the powder to warm or hot water
it will be lumpy.

Bring the ingredients to a simmer over a low flame, stir constantly.
Simmer about two minutes or until it slightly thickens to a syrupy
consistency.

Cool the mixture then refrigerate in a glass jar with a tight fitting
lid. With proper storage the syrup will remain fresh for 7 or 8 days.

Even if you just add the dry powder mixed to an animals soft food it
can help soothe the digestive system.

Dose = 1 teaspoon slippery elm syrup given before each meal or 2-3
times daily.