From:
brooke nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 13:26:47 -0500
Well, everyone, we ended up getting *another* ferret last night.  On
Tuesday, we had responded to an ad in the local paper for a 1 yr old male
ferret with 3 story cage and accessories for $100.00.  We finally got to see
him last night and there was NO WAY we were going to leave him there!  I
won't go into all the details here, but it was not a good place for a
ferret!  They gave us his food which immediately went into the trash when we
got home!  It was "Hi-Pro Cat Food" (like 'Ol Roy from Wal Mart!)!  He is
very sweet and appears to be healthy aside from some hair loss on his tail
which is most likely due to blackheads and poor diet.

This morning I let him out and he dislocated a shoulder.  Luckily it popped
right back into place when I touched it.  We took him to the vet (my boss)
just to play it safe...all is normal.  He said there may be some minor
problem due to the food he was eating.  He was scared of the other ferrets
at first but now he realizes that he is one of them.  And I have to say
Dizzi (aka Devil Child) has finally met her match!

His previous owners had named him Rascal, but we figure there are already
enough Rascals out there.  We decided to name him after a good friend we
have made on the FCS...Darwin!  He even responds to the name so we assume he
likes it!  And Darwin (the hooman) is thrilled that we named our new "son'
after him!  He and his wife Lisa are now his Godparents.

I never imagined how good it would feel to "rescue" a neglected ferret!  We
really didn't have the money to spare for him (especially since we are
getting an angora next month...thanks Lars and Nadine for holding him back
for us!) but I never would have forgiven myself if we had left him in that
environment!  Get this...he's 9 months old and had never even had his nails
trimmed!!!!

Well, everyone, thanks for putting up with me!  BTW, Cody is no better but
at least he is not any worse either!  I have a good feeling that his other
adrenal gland is now affected but I don't want to put him thriugh the stress
of anpther operation.

Till next time,

Brooke & Troy...AND Cody, Indy, Kiwi, Dizzi, & Darwin!