From:
Kathy Salimy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 19:32:04 EDT
Hi Everyone,

Although this is my first post to the FML, I have been a regular lurker for
some time now.  A ferret Mom for almost twelve years, I currently live in
South Florida with eleven of the silly critters.

Some weeks back, Mike Janke was kind enough to post a message here and on
his website concerning the Field Safety Study currently being conducted
on a new Canine Distemper Vaccine that has recently been developed.  This
new vaccine holds the promise of a safer alternative to Fervac-D, to which
we've recently seen so many life-threatening reactions.  (I almost lost two
of my own boys to serious Fervac-D reactions in March.)

I received a call this afternoon from Dr. John Case, one of the assigned
Veterinary Investigators conducting the study, asking that I help get the
word out to any one in the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida area who might still be
interested in participating in the study.  If your ferret will require the
series of three injections, tomorrow (October 7) is the final day to begin.
This would apply only to those ferrets who have not yet had the initial
three Fervac-D injections (such as young kits) ... all others need only
one and, therefore, have a little more time.

The participating South Florida veterinarians are:

Dr. John Case, Jr.
Clinic For Animals
Tamarac, FL
(954) 739-4500

and

Dr. Susan Kelleher
Broward Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic
Pompano Beach, FL
(954) 968-7171

Please call either office for more information or to schedule an
appointment or visit Mike's great site at
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/distemper_study.htm to learn more about the
Field Safety Study and what it means for our little ones.

I apologize for the short notice, but Dr. Case just received the call this
afternoon notifying him of the deadline.  It was originally scheduled to
continue through November ... I can only hope this also means it will be
marketed sooner than originally anticipated.

BTW, some of you might be interested to know that ten of my eleven ferrets
are participating in this study, one being eliminated because of daily
doses of prednisone for insulinoma.  This does not mean that the vaccine is
unsafe for insulinomic ferrets, only that they cannot participate in the
study, since only healthy ferrets are being used (although the company did
allow my JoJo to participate, who is on Lupron for adrenal disease).  Seven
of my guys needed only one injection, which they received several weeks
ago.  The other three required the series (being kits and/or rescues with
unknown histories); they've each received two injections with one more to
go.  We've had NO reactions whatsoever ... not even in JoJo and Cosmo, the
two who reacted to Fervac-D ... nor has Dr. Case seen reactions in any of
the other fifty or so ferrets he's vaccinated thus far.  (I can't speak
for Dr. Kelleher, since I don't know her, but I think Dr. Case would have
know had she seen anything out of the ordinary.)

I apologize for the length of this post and hope BIG will allow it.

Hugs to all the fuzzies and the fuzzy-owned.

Kathy Salimy <><

Mom to Sparkle, Flash, JoJo, Sunshine, Fox, Valentine, Bouncer, Cosmo,
Grace, Simon and Chance (never forgetting Skitty and Scat, the first
silly weasels to steal my heart)