From:
Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 20:12:45 -0500
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to respond to some of the things Sheena wrote in her post
responding to my post (re:shelters).  First and foremost I would like to say
that I completely respect Sheena's position and understand why she feels the
way she does.  Her post pointed out some things I did not know and reminded
me of how very grateful we should all be to those who selflessly give so
much of themselves.  I just wanted to point out some different ways to look
at a few minor things she mentioned.

Sheena wrote:
"It bothers me to hear people say they couldn't afford the price of a kit in
the pet store, so they want to adopt instead.  We prefer to adopt to people
who want to help a needy ferret."

I understand your preference, but I hope you realize that regardless of the
REASON they want a rescue rather than a kit, it STILL helps that needy
ferret.  (As long as they are willing to do what it takes to properly care
for the ferret once it is theirs, i.e. your reference to "many of our
friends might have trouble affording the adoption fee, but would sell their
stereo to fix their ill ferret").  In the end it is the ferrets well-being
that is most important and the more shelter ferrets we get off to good homes
the better, whatever way that is accomplished,it is a good thing.

Sheena also wrote:
"I know it's a matter of perception, but when I see my account book sitting
open and $500.00 worth of vet bills waiting to be paid, I get awfully
annoyed with people who say they think $95.00 is too much to pay to adopt a
ferret."

I personally do not think $95 is too much for an adoption fee, but to
compare other people's willingness to sacrifice financially for ferrets to
yours is not really fair.  You don't know what their financial situation is,
what their kid's or other pet's medical bills are (plus if they properly
care for their new ferret they will also soon have vet bills accruing);
moreover, you VOLUNTARILY are a person who runs a shelter.  This means you
are OBVIOUSLY more willing to sacrifice your time, money and effort for the
well-being of ferrets.  You should be applauded for your kind heartedness,
generosity, and unbelievable stamina; however, I am sure you realize not
everyone is cut out to do what you do, nor have they ever volunteered to do
so.  If they help out by giving just one ferret a good home, they shouldn't
be looked down on because they didn't do and/or spend more.  What they did
was still a good thing.  This is not to take away at all from what you do.
I personally think you are an inspiration, but not everyone has the same
priorities in life.

Lastly, Sheena wrote:
" .  .  just because *they* have weekends free and want to come "inspect"
the shelter (as one woman, who wasn't even planning to adopt told me on the
phone) or make a social call, we operators rarely have any free time.  "

I completely understand that many shelter operators wouldn't have any free
time and that someone who wanted to "inspect" rather than take home a ferret
wouldn't and shouldn't be a first priority.  However, perhaps the person who
called is just doing her best to make sure there weren't ferrets living in
bad conditions anywhere (and I'm sure there must be some "shelters" out
there run by people who aren't really experienced enough, but out of their
kindheartedness and unfortunate ignorance try to run a shelter anyway - just
like people who try to breed, but don't do enough research first).  Or maybe
that person was thinking of starting her own shelter and was doing a bit of
preliminary research.  She may not have wanted to disclose that information
since some shelters are competitive and she may have been afraid you
wouldn't let her see yours.  Of course, the woman could have just been
curious as to what shelters look like too.  My point is that perhaps there
are other less annoying reasons why people do and say what they do,and I
personally like to try and think of them rather than get angry at someone
perhaps inappropriately.  Beside it lets me live with less tsuris (sp?) in
my life.  :).

     Love and dooks to all,

     Rebecca, J&M