Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 07:46:42 EST
To Derrick Smith concerning his cryptorchid ferret:

        Derrick:

        Retained testicles do not produce sperm.  The heat of the body cavity is
too much for spermatogenesis.  That is why, in most species, LGod has put them
OUTSIDE of the body cavity.  We know that one retained testicle will never
produce sperm, but can produce all of the hormones which bring a male into
season, unfortunately.

        Regarding the other testicle - depending how long it stayed inside the
body cavity, there may have been enough permanent damage that it, too will not
produce sperm, or produce at such a low levels that conception will not take
place.

        What retained testicles WILL do, however, is produce tumros.  The
incidenceof tumors is FAR higher in retained testicles.  I have seen two, three,
up to FOUR different types of tumors, all in the same retained testicles.  While
the chance of metastasis is low, when they do become malignant, they spread
rapidly.

        My advice - go with your original plan - NEUTER.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000