Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:13:13 -0500
Jake formerly known as Kujo (from the pet store employees) is doing
great! His biting in very minimal and it's more of just a kit playing
kind of bite instead of a "I'm going to grab whatever I get and shake
it till it's mine" kind of bite. The scabs on his ears are slowly
falling off and looking much better as well. This in only 3 days!! I
even took him back to the store where they surrendered him to me to
show them just what a little patience and love would do. I made the
manager hold him :)

His vet appointment was yesterday where he behaved himself well while
all the staff cooed over him and Cammi another surrender I got from a
private home. The vet looked at his ears and feels that they were
possibly chewed on in shipment. One ear is definitely smaller than the
other. She prescribed an ointment like silvadene cream and said to only
use a small amount. Since his ears are doing so much better she said
just to watch and see if he needed it. While we were there both kids
decided to leave a nice fecal specimen for that exam. Gotta love them!!
Both were sent out. Cammi's came back negative but Jake has Coccidia. I
drove back to the vet today to get some Albon to treat him. I promptly
called the pet store that surrendered him to me and informed them that
is was contagious and any ferrets that came in with him or were housed
with him should also be tested.

So, if anyone has recently purchased a Marshall's ferret or has a young
Marshall's ferret it would be a good idea to get your kids tested.
Normally at the vet they just did a fecal float but sending it off
proves much more exact in finding parasites. My vet isn't even doing
the floats anymore due to this.

Thank you to all who sent well wishes for this little boy.

Kim

Stinky Pete's Ferret Retreat
http://floridaferrets.webs.com/

Visit our Fall Raffle at: