From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:37:17 -0400
>From:    meagan quinn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: PFRA and ECE in MF kits..
>On a different note, I happend to go to the MF web site and was trying to
>find out info on the recent rumors that petstores are telling people that
>they aren't getting any more kits b/c of an ECE outbreak within MF
>facilities.

A couple weeks ago, our shelter operator, Angela, called Marshall Farms to
let them know of the terrible problem we're seeing down here.  Also to let
them know that there are more than a couple people considering lawsuits
against MF to recover the costs of enormous vet bills incurred by them
after bringing home baby MF ferrets.  But let me say that there's no proof
that they come from Marshall Farms with ECE.  They could very well be
picking up the virus in the distribution chain somewhere.  But, MF is the
one with deep pockets, so you know who the lawyers will target.

We're hearing weekly of someone in this area bringing home a baby ferret,
only to have their other ferrets fall ill two to three days later.  Some
of these ferrets have died due to lack of knowledge of ECE by vets and the
ferret owners themselves.  More than a few have brought ferrets to Angela
when they were on their deathbeds and after spending hundreds of dollars at
the vet with no improvement.  Angela almost always pulls them through given
her long experience with ECE in ferrets.

Anyway, the person that answered the phone at MF said that they had a drug
company working on a vaccine (which is false).  Angela mentioned the number
of people that were considering lawsuits and asked if their vet would call
back.  It seems they were concerned as the vet called back within a few
minutes.  After talking to Angela, the vet admitted that they did not have
an answer to the ECE problem, but they "...stand behind any research being
done."  In other words, they ain't doing it themselves, have no plans to do
it themselves, and certainly don't have a drug company working on a vaccine.

The vet also mentioned that they send out ECE info to pet stores and vets,
so Angela asked them to send her the package they send out.  Imagine our
surprise when we got the package and it was a printout of ECE information
from OUR own website!  They didn't even bother to cut out the graphic
banners on each page or the www.miamiferret.org link that prints at the
bottom of each page.  Not that we mind, as long as the info gets out, but
it was kind of ironic that we call to lambaste them and in return they
send us our own ECE info!

In all honesty, I think they have a better warning on their own web page
than what they send out.  At least there they make the ECE/baby ferret
connection.  But I'm sure it doesn't matter either way.  How many pet
stores are actually going to tell you that if you buy one of their baby
ferrets, you may be endangering the life of any other ferrets you may have.
I'm sure these info packages go right into the trash.

And all of that brings me to this...

We have information that a highly respected and somewhat famous virologist
at a large, Southeastern University has begun research on ECE.  No, it's
not Dr. Bruce Williams, who is a pathologist, not a virologist.  This
virologist has been asked to do this by a vet in our area that works with
our shelter and is supposedly rather well known in Avian medicine circles
and knows this virologist well.

I don't have full details at this time and can't give out the details that
I do have, but in some small way, the research has already begun, and last
I heard, "a couple components have already been isolated" whatever that
means.  The problem, as with everything else, is that this is going to cost
$$$$$$.  We've been told at least $35,000.  We hope to put the pressure on
Marshall Farms to contribute to this research since they SEEM to be part
of the problem.  Don't get me wrong, there's no proof as to where the ECE
originates, but they stand to loose a lot and it would be to their benefit
to come up with some answers on this disease.

You can help by putting the pressure on Marshall Farms to help fund this
research, which will benefit them as much as it will us.  It won't do any
good to call or write and flame them.  Ask nicely and who knows, we may
eventually have an answer to this awful disease.

More info as it unfolds.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC