From:
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:28:17 -0800
>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet Show Delights

Perhaps you might research in old FMLs what we have previously written on
this topic.  There might be less confusion.

>So one might ask, who are the people who want, who work hard, to produce
>such abhorent caricatures of naturally good-looking, species efficient
>animals?  The answer my friends, is anybody who produces, supports,
>endorses, or upholds animal shows.  This most certainly includes ferret
>shows.

The American Ferret Association is very much against the introduction of
breeds into ferrets.  If there are no breeds then there are no reasons to
breed "unnatural animals".  Except for those breeders who do NOT support AFA
ferret shows.

>We are yet early in the historical development of ferret shows. Most of
>these shows are run by women, the fair sex. Aye matey, be they fair, they
>are truly the most deadly of the species,

Diane and courtney are extremely offended by this statement> bill too
vicariously.

So how long do shows have to be held before we are not in your mind early in
the historical development?  Ten years?  Twenty?  One hundred?

>To deny that species modification pressure is applied as a direct
>consequence of ferret shows is patently absurd.  We have already seen it
>in the tragic development of the so-called "angora" ferrets, and with
>catastrophic results.

We are sorry that you've labelled what we will say absurd before you even
read it.

The AFA has decided angora ferrets are not permitted in AFA sanctioned shows
as they are too far mutated.  You are uninformed although we have stated
this here before.  bill was in on the voting process.

But what is the catastrophic result of angora ferrets?

>And certain as night follows the light, keep aware that where the blue
>ribbon goes, there goes the money trail.  Blue ribbons, without too much
>effort, can be shown to be the path to exhorbitant prices for the
>DNA-mangled ferret.

Championship lines do command higher prices.  But the defined ferret
standard is not an aberration but the result of glorifying the average.
Ferrets lose points for being away from the standard.

IN an experiement a couple years back involving photographs of women and
computer image morphing it was found that when hundreds of photographs of
women were averaged the resulting image was a strikingly beautiful woman.
The same idea can be applied to show ferrets.  The winner will be the one
that varies the least from absolute average.

>Finally, consider the true heart of the human being who has been recognized
>as a superior ferret breeder and may have a wall full of blue ribbons.

We do not think you can presume to see onto our heart.  Though we keep our
ribbons in a bag not on the wall.

>If she really has in her heart the improvement and health of the ferret
>species, she would not charge an arm and a leg for her kits, but would
>contrairly offer samples of their bloodline (at cost plus) for the
>world-wide improvement of all ferrets.

Have you examined the books of us East coast breeders?  Not many of us live
in costly mansions paid for by the pains of our ferrets.  Oh and there are
males involved.

You normally rant on the right end of the political spectrum and here seem
to be practically communist.  Shouldn't one be rewarded for their own hard
work?

>Sorry, but true I fear; it's not in the nature human, especially the
>female.

We feel you owe an apology to all breeders, ferret fanciers and women.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]