From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:28:29 -0800
>From:    Edward Greaves <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Toys, Games, snacks, treats, etc
>What time of the year are ferrets most likely to breed?  And when are they
>likely to have kits.

Ferrets breed on a cycle controlled by the length of days.  Breeders who
keep their ferrets in artificially lit rooms with odd lengthed days might be
off the normal schedule.

After the winter solstice when days start getting longer the hobs start
going into rut.  Jills follow by a few weeks.  Breeding is usually early in
the spring from February on.  Gestation is 42 days so births start usually
from April on.  We and many other breeders prefer for kits to be weaned on
the jills schedule which is sometimes as much as 9 weeks.  We don't normally
let kits out before they are about 12 weeks old.  This puts them from June
on.  We've tended to delay our litters so probably from July on in our case.

>I'm looking for a particular coloration

Let us know the color/pattern you want and where you are and we might be
able to help you find what you want.  Except it is very hard to find Dark
eyed whites that are truly dark eyed whites.  Depending up on where you are
and what you require in ages we might be able to help you out sooner.
Breeders tend to know where other breeders are and often what they have.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]