From:
angela wyckoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:40:52 PDT
I need some advise.

Thanks to the list, the vet confirmed what I was 99% sure of- Syber is
deaf.

I'm working on sign language with her.  How do I get her attention when
it's time to come.  If she's down in the basement, I can't stamp on the
floor and get her attention.  I tried flickering the light switch.  My one
year old kitten helps sometimes by showing me where the ferrets are.
Today, all 5 of us took a nap in my room.  We all woke up about the same
time, except Syber.  I had to look to find her(it isn't always easy).  She
was under the bed partially inside a kleenex box!  I pounded on the floor
and signed her name and come.

She woke up but didn't come.  I know it will take time for her to learn the
"come" sign.  I am using treats with the sign.  I would love to be directed
to scientific information on deafness in ferrets.  What is exactly wrong?
Could an implant work?  Have studies been done on how to correct and/or
prevent deafness.  Syber is not a MF ferret.  She's 11/2 years old, I just
adopted her and her partner.  The introduction with my 2 ferrets didn't go
as expected.  My gentle Lady Spaz, showed Roulette who's boss!  Didn't
touch Syber.  Now they all are together.  Spaz still likes to think she's
bigger than Roulette.  She's 1.8 LBS, He's 2.8 LBS.  Is there a general
ferret web sight to post our babies pictures for all the group to see?  I
love seeing other ferrets and want to show off my babies=2E

Thanks for all your help.
Angela,Spaz,Nikita,Roulette, Syber, Ferret locator-Guana