From:
Sharon Pease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:57:02 EDT
Brenda, [log in to unmask], wrote;
>But the thing that gets me is the vet said the only way to confirm for
>sure it is eosinophilic gastro enteritis is a biopsy ($500).

This is true, although the price will vary depending on the vet and the lab
they use.

"EGE" as I call it, is usually treated with steroids (I use PediaPred).
The treatment will quite often be required for the lifetime of the ferret
unless it is determined that an allergy is causing it and the allergen is
removed.  If your ferret is ill and weak, surgery is going to be very
risky.  If you can avoid the surgery in a weakened state, do so.

So far as I know, the vets still aren't 100% sure of it's cause.  It's
either an autoimmune disorder (the body's defenses attack the body) or
caused by an allergy to food or something in the environment.

I went through this with Mr. Grinch.  I was never able to isolate any
allergy and I've attempted to wean him off the PediaPred several times and
the symptoms have recurred.  In my case I'm inclined to think it's
autoimmune but that doesn't mean that the same illness couldn't be brought
on by different causes.

** I'm not a vet!!**
My advise would be; If you don't get any improvement in the treatments
you're using, speak with your vet about trying some steroid therapy.  If
this helps with the symptoms it will strengthen your ferret for surgery,
if this is what you decide.

Best of luck!
SP