From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:50:05 -0400
More likely is that Mini-Me had a hidden serious health problem going
on.  Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy can be hidden.  In fact, that form of
cardiomyopathy usually is not found until the ferret dies.  You had
wondered about blood sugar and about the nodes.  When lymphoma (or when
carcinoma) is present in the pancreas it can suddenly cause a massive
blood glucose crash which can be fatal.  That would fit both symptoms.
In that case it can happen even without a fast.  We had to take extreme
measures with one ferret, Fritter, whose first sign of insulinoma was
just such a crash, and another, Ashling, whose first sign of carcinoma
was such a crash.  Both required cheek puff artificial respiration and
sugars.  There are, of course, other possibilities.  I have known vets
whose ferret hid these malignancies until the ferrets suddenly passed,
so it certainly can happen to anyone.

We tend to opt for pre-op CBC with Chemistry Panel, and also at least a
chest x-ray and sometimes a chest ultrasound if the ferret is older, if
there are reasons to question, or if the ferret has neural crest variant
fur markings (blaze head, panda head, or extraneous body spotting -- but
not clean and complete bibs and mitts which appear to have a completely
different genetic cause that isn't itself associated with such risks).
The health risks associated with many markings is new enough info that
in general they haven't reached the vet texts for the most part.

I am so sorry that you have suffered such a sudden and unexpected loss.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/