From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:19:09 -0400
Oliver came running up the path to Bridge Greeter No. 421's cabin and
knocked on the door. "Wake up, Wake Up," he called. He listened at the
door, not a sound. "Hey No. 421, where be you?"

There was a soft rustle, then a thud as No. 421 rolled over and knocked
the book off of his bed. He had been tired and fell asleep reading.

"What do you want," No. 421 called. "I'm asleep. What time is it
anyway? Don't you know this is my day off? Shooting stars it's only
5 o'clock."

"All I'se know is de BOSS called me and said to fetch you," said
Oliver.

"De Boss -- huh oh what have I done now?" No. 421 scrambled out of
bed, ran through the shower, shook off the extra droplets, cleaned his
teeth, jumped into his Sunday best suit and running his claws through
his hair, he opened the door to Oliver.

"I be ready," No. 421 said. "Let's go." The two friends walked quickly
up the path to the Big House and an angel let them in. The house was
white marble with gold trim, and nice and cool inside. A second angel
arrived and folding his wings over the back of his chair, he proceeded
to unroll a parchment.

"No. 421, have you perhaps been napping on the job?" the angel said.

"Well, not exactly, what I mean to say is sometimes my eyes get heavy,
and I just close them to rest them, but I would not call it napping,
just resting," No. 421 said.

"Well, the angel said, a white ferret with dark eyes by the name of
Hamlet crossed the bridge about two months ago, and we do not have a
ticket or a greeting. What say you?"

Little Oliver remembered that ferret. A beautiful white kid with dark
eyes who was whisked away by his friends. Poor No. 421, he tried so
hard to do his job, but sometimes he was awfully tired, and he would
sleep a few minutes, and then wake up with a start to see if he missed
someone. Poor No. 421, he was all out of sorts.

"Mr. Angel, please let me say a few words?" Oliver said. "I be the
currier assigned to No. 421, and I be there when this Hamlet arrived.
Hamlet's buddy Tisha was there an he just took him under his wings and
hustled him away. Those two went everywhere. They visited the Meadow of
Dreams where de ferrets wait for their homans, they went to the brook
for a swim, they visited the ferretone falls, and he be all settled in
waitin' for his human Momma. It not be No. 421's fault he not see
Hamlet. Tisha be very fast on his feet, and he greeted him. "

"Is that so?" the angel asked. "I believe so, No. 421 said. "It must
have been when I was resting, and I know that Tisha. That little ferret
be at the bridge almost everyday, just standing around waiting for
someone. Must have been Hamlet."

The angel dismissed them both saying he would explain to the BOSS what
happened and adjust the record book.

As Bridge Greeter No. 421 and his currier Oliver walked back to the
cabin, Oliver said, "Am I going to your cabin for breakfast?"

"You might as well," No 421 said. "After that, I'm going back to bed.
And the next time someone rushes a newcomer over the bridge, as least
tell me about it, I was only resting my eyes."

And as morning sun rose over the puffy clouds, ferrets everywhere began
to wake up and greet the new day.

Little Hamlet stretched and yawned, and called to the Gentle Breeze.
"Hurry up Gentle, and take this Good Mornin' kiss to my human mommy
and drop it on her cheek before she wakes up. She will think a stray
lock of hair brushed against her cheek. I was dreamin' about her last
night."

Little Hamlet blew a kiss to the Gentle Breeze who, carrying it ever so
carefully, departed. Hamlet stretched once more and rose to meet the
day.