From:
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:20:05 EST
Well, I've been trying to find the time to post for weeks now, so here goes
nothing.

First some sad news, Ricki Martin, my cancer ferret, passed away last
Sunday morning.  he was in bed sleeping with me and I got up to heat up
his lava bed and get his meds ready.  when I got back he had passed on.  He
was so full of life and gave me so many laughs while he was here.  I will
always remember his zest for life and him laying his little head on my arm
that Sunday morning, as he was saying good bye.

Ricki was the last cagemate of Geezer's, his other 2 friends Johnny Rebel
and Skinny Minnie passed away this last year.  Now Geezer is aroung 8-9 yrs
as far as we can tell, he is bald, had both adrenals and his spleen removed
2 yrs ago when he got here.  We never expected him to around this long, but
he is amazing.  he also has a heart murmur and so any surgery would be out
at this point.  He eats like a pig and waddles around the house like a
dinasaur.  He was out a few days ago and seemed to be looking for his
friends, I felt so bad for him.

I was in my room looking down the hallway at him, and cleaning cages.  I
was on Robins cage and I don't know why but I put her down, knowing that
she likes to pick on the other ferrets.

The first thing she did was go over to Geezer sniff at him and squeel, I
looked at them and thought I better watch them.  Robin went down the
hallway, over to Geezers cage, a big nono, he was right behind her like
"hey, get the heck outta there".  Robin just went on her merry way, into
the cage, at some of his food, drank out of his dish, and then, to my
suprise just crawled into his sleepsack.  Well I was waiting for world
war three to start when Geezer caught up with her, hes a bit slow.  He
followed her into the sleep sac...........
ok, no noise, no fighting, silence........

I looked in to see them curling up together, taking a nap.  i thought i
had seen it all, just when I thought that Geezer would never have another
friend or worried about Robin going to a home that they loved her for her,
not who she had belonged to, they got it all figured out.  Faith had
stepped in and took over.  So, as you probably can tell Robin, aka
Goldielocks, has found love, a home and a friend.  Maybe being a shelter
ferret isn't what I had planned for her but i think she told me what she
wanted, to stay here, and by attaching herself to Geezer, she sealed the
deal.  amazing how smart they are....no wonder why I love them so very
much.  As I looked in on them this morning in the hammy, their faces
touching, I know that Johnny, Minnie and Ricki are looking down upon Geezer
and is happy for their best friend.

As far as cats and ferrets are concerned, around here my 9 cats, some with
brain damage and all my ferrets get along quite well, even the new ferrets
that come in, they just accept them.  even my two barking all the time
Pom's get along.  we even raised a baby duck in the house with no problems.
The critters here all seem to know that this is as good as it gets for a
while so they just deal with it.  And for those who have been here, you can
attest to the harmony that is in my house.  Also i was feeling sad that I
didn't have a Valentines sweety this year, but I looked around and I have
more than most.  Unconditional love.

Take care to all,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"

BTW, the FLO members told me that you guys aren't clicking, they are
planning an attack, it could be you,so better start clicking........ iGive
really works!!!  http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=4441&mid=43677