From:
Carrie Duc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:20:57 -0400
I recently adopted/purchased 2 ferrets from a local pet shop.  They'd been
put up on consignment for resale because the previous owners couldn't keep
them anymore.  We took home "Snowy" a "1-year-old, black-eyed, white, male,
neutered and deglanded," and "Sweetie" a "4-month-old, sable mitt, male,
neutered and deglanded."

What we actually got were:

(1) Snowy - a 3+ years old male, hopefully the rest is true, but unable to
    determine as there were no papers for him.

(2) Sweetie - a 4 month old FEMALE, hopefully the rest is the same, but
    again NO PAPERS.

My advice, after this eye-opening experience, is to not trust any data
provided, by a Pet Shop employee, on a ferret that's been previously owned
unless there are papers to prove this data.  If you still want to adopt,
take the ferret to the vet immediately for shots and a checkup, and to find
out just exactly what/who you've just brought home.

Luckily, we'd have taken both ferrets, no matter what their conditions, as
we fell in love at first sight with these adorable fuzzies.  But, if you've
got preferences as to sex or age, have the ferret checked prior to
commiting to the sale.

Happy Dooking!
Carrie