From:
Leanne O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:36:26 -0500
Hi All:

As you may know, I am a volunteer at Gimmee Shelter Ferret Rescue in
Massachusetts.  We are one of two shelters in the state.  Lately, the
majority of our surrendered/rescued ferrets are oldsters and they are
usually in need of medical care.  As the majority of these fuzzies are
not adopted, we have just about run out of money to keep the shelter
operating and to provide medical care and surgeries.  The majority of
our funding comes from adoption fees, and these have been few and far
between.

We recently took in 2 ferrets, Laverne and Shirley, whose home was a
Special Education classroom in the Boston area (thank you to Risa D. for
providing transportation).  They were surrendered to us because a child
in the class was allergic.  Unfortunately, Laverne came to us with a
large tumor on her shoulder that was causing her pain.  The tumor was
removed and found to be malignant sarcoma.  Luckily, she survived the
surgery and is enjoyiing a better quality of life, free again to dance
and play without pain.  We also have about 15 ferrets on monthly Lupron
injections which also depletes our funds on a regular basis.  We have
another 2 rescues in foster care who need adrenal sugeries, but we do
not have the funds for them at this time.

All donations to the shelter go directly to fuzzy care, feeding, and
medical care.  If anyone is able to make a donation to the shelter, we
would really appreciate it as we are truly in a dire financial situation.
Donations can be sent directly to the shelter, or people could use Ferret
Store gift certificates.  If you wnat to designate where you'd like your
donation to go, we will use it for that purpose.  Donations could be
designated for Laverne's surgery ($186.00 we now owe), Adrenal surgery,
or the Lupron fund.

Thje address for the shelter is the following:
Gimmee Shelter Ferret Rescue
c/o Janice DeJesus
3030 Cranberry Highway
E. Wareham, MA 02538

Checks can be made out to the shelter, to Mattapoisett Aniaml Hospital
(our vet), or to Family Pet (the store where we buy supplies at cost
thanks to the generous store owner).

We also wanted to thank Rose, mom to many fuzzies, who recently adopted
Chocolate and Godiva (and donated bedding to the shelter).  These were 2
beautiful fuzzies who had been bounced around to different homes as they
would bite.  They now have a permanent home with Rose and we're happy to
know they will be well loved and cared for.

Also, thank you to our friend Jill who is trying to raise money for the
shelter by selling candy.

Thank you all in advance.  Any help, even small donations, will help us
more than you could imagine.  Please help us so that we can keep helping
the fuzzies.  If anyone would like more information on the shelter, you
can visit the website at www.gimmeeshelter.org

Leanne O'Neil