From:
Andy Abate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 14:45:49 EST
To Steven Woodcock, regarding Ripple....
I think of the spleen as the "dumpster" of the body.  It handles the
disposal of dead cells.  So if the spleen is enlarged, it means that for
some reason there are a lot of cells being discarded, way beyond the normal.
That's why, for me, an enlarged spleen, even in a ferret that seems
perfectly healthy at the time, is a warning of something not so good going
on.  I never ignore an enlarging spleen.  I watch it and the ferret
carefully.  I often start on prophylactic anitibiotics, such as amoxicillin,
and if it is an older ferret, I may keep the animal on them indefinitely.
On occasion, it may be the spleen itself which is diseased, but more often
it is a reflection of another organ--adrenal tumor, liver cancer, etc.  This
is not meant to unduly alarm you, but on the other hand, prompt action can
add years to the life of ferret even if you are unable to pinpoint the exact
cause.  In Ripple's case, where he is already vomiting (this is always
serious in a ferret since they rarely vomit), I have to think you need to
find a good ferret vet right away.  Wish you and Rascal the best.

To Christie re: Rascal
Again, I would urge every ferret owner to see the best ferret vet around
when problems arise.  It isn't always going to produce the answer, and it
may involve a long drive to see someone who really knows ferrets, but prompt
action can make an enormous difference in saving your ferret's life.  In the
case of Rascal, there is a possiblity that the broken tooth is abscessing
through the jaw.  Just a guess, but the lump, the runny nose and the broken
tooth, all being in the same general area (sinuses involved, too) at least
are a warning signal that you need to have it examined.  With ferret medical
problems, it makes me uncomforable to see owners of sick ferrets waiting for
the answers on the FML.  I don't get a great deal of satisfaction from my
vet either, because ferrets are a tough call when you are far from areas
where ferrets are more common, but do start with your vet and start early.
If you are unsure of which vet to chose, call around and find out who sees
them, and ask how many they see in a month's time.  Much of ferret medicine
success comes from vets who see the most of them and are therefore more
likely to read up or call other, more knowledgable people.  You can always
refer your vet to Dr.  Williams, who is always helpful.  Give them his
number (202-782-2600) and offer to pay for the call.  But most of all, don't
let things go.

Best to you and Rascal.

To Karen Vance, re:Karat
A ferret believed to be spayed but which still shows signs of heat (an
enlarged vulva), is not a normal situation and, as suggested above, needs to
be seen by a knowledgeable vet.  To make it really easy, all your vet has to
do is refer to his/her copy of Current Veterinary Therapy, Vol.  XI, page
1187.  Every vet has these volumes in the office library (or I wouldn't use
that vet....).

The symptoms you are seeing, and which Dr. Williams has addressed previously
in other cases, are related to an elevation in the estrogen level of Karat.
This is a serious situation because this is where the red blood cells
decline and anemia sets in.  This process is going on as we speak and needs
to be halted as soon as possible.  Two things are most likely here: adrenal
hyperactivity due to disease, or residual ovarian tissue from an incomplete
spay.  Both possibilities need to be explored right away.  The CVT tells
exactly how to go about this and if you need a copy, let me know.  I can fax
or express mail it to you overnight.  To let things go on is to reduce the
possibility that this can be dealth with successfully.  Hair loss, by the
way, can be a lot of different things, but elevation of the estrogen level
also causes hair loss.  With the combination of symptoms you see in Karat,
you really have some positive information to go on.

Best to you and Karat,

              Carolyn Kinsey,  Veterinary Technician
              Ferret Rescue of the Western States,
              Pueblo/Colorado Springs, Colorado