From:
SIMONETTI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 12:33:44 -0600
I looked in my vet supply catalogs (I have them because I love to ride
horses and I will be leasing one for a month soon after my riding camp is
done.  They like it if you know about medications.:) ) and I found some
things that may work for your ferrets.  Horses sometimes like to gnaw on
wooden rails of stalls etc.  This is called "chewing" or "cribbing" if it is
severe.  There are some products which I found that are effective in
stopping this in horses.  They are: Red Cayenne Pepper (for 1 Pound, $7.49),
Farnam No-Chew (unfortuneately it's sold in gallons only $12.90), Chew-Stop
Aerosol (for 18oz $9.89) and can be found in this catalog (which is free by
the way): Dover Saddlery- 1-800-989-1500 or you can write at P.O. Box 5837,
Holliston MA, 01746.

So, even though it is for horses you may find something in there that may
work for ferrets, I have a whole pile of catalog addresses that are free
(that deal with vet stuff).  Oh, a note bene about the Red Pepper.  You have
to mix it with a bit of water and spray on what ever it is your stubborn
fuzzy has been chewing on I think.  The directions will be there.  I have
also heard of someone's ferret getting cuts and bites on her.  There is this
stuff put out by State Line that is called "Cut-Heal First Aid".  It is
sprayed on cuts, bites etc.  and it forms a shield over the wound while
allowing freedom of movement.  If anyone is interested and wants the number
you know the drill, mail me privately.:)

Selena Simonetti and "?"