Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:11:36 -0000
Well, we finally had the adrenal surgery on Buttons, and it was not a
success.  I was waiting for my vet to get the cryo kit, which there was
some holdup with that I am still not quite clear on, but decided to go
ahead as it has been 5 months since she became symptomatic (now age 2 1/2).
(Buttons has lost all the fur on her tail, most of the fur on her back, and
some from the rest of her body.  Her vulva is moderately swolen, and she
has a small amount of greenish discharge every couple of days.)

So, we had the surgery on January 23d, and, like I said, it was not
successful.  The doctor first removed her spleen because it was enlarged
and had a marble-sized tumor on it.  Then he looked at her left adrenal and
it looked fine, and her right gland was apparently hiding under one of the
lobes of her liver, and he opted not to go after it because he thought it
might be too much for her.

Now I'm not sure what to do -- the incision is a good 3" long, and is
still healing.  Buttons is a "wired weasel" and hated feeling crappy after
surgery.  She did not like being in her cage and has been deleriously happy
to be able to climb and wrestle again.  I just don't know when I should
think about having another go at the right adrenal.  Given her personality,
maybe it's kinder to let her be, and give the lupron a shot at controlling
the symptoms.  I can't imagine putting her through another traditional
surgery for at least 9 months.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has had a similar dilemma.  My
main concern is really just to keep her happy for as long as possible.
Her personality doesn't cope well with illness.

Thanks
Melissa, Mishka, and Buttons