From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:12:14 -0800
>Anyway, the letter told about how easy it would be for them to escape, (THAT
>part I can buy...), and live and breed in the wild.  Maybe we should give
>them some back issues of the FML to read, about how some baby has gotten
>loose, and is found just before starving to death.  BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT
>HUNTERS!!!  (At least none I've ever met - flame disclaimer)

Some silly minded mouse moved into our house recently -- found evidence of
the crazy critter all over my downstairs storage cupboard, even in the dirty
ferret bedding.  Hmph, some nerve.

So we cleaned out the storage cupboard (an all dang day job) and made it
less attractive to small mousey critters (no access to food in the Ikea
drawers now).

Mr Mousey decided to take himself up a flight of stairs and move into my
computer room / nursery (full o' expecting jills).  While reading my FML the
other morning, Mr Mousey hopped across my foot and made a beeline for some
errant pieces of kitty food.

Lots of hollering of "Mouse!  Mouse!" from me, which was answered by a flush
faced SO bursting into the room with a wiggling Mazzy (hunter of human
flesh, cats and rubber toys extraordinaire).  "She'll get that mouse!" said
the SO confidently.

Mazzy made several trips around the room, sniffing noses with jills,
stopping for a morning poop (not in the litter box I might add), and getting
a piece of duck tape stuck to her side which then sent her *screaming*
around the room.  Once she politely stepped over the terrified mousey.  A
couple of times the mousey lept over her.

The mouse ran under an end table unit, a space about 3 inches tall and a
foot wide, with only one entrance.  The SO peeled the tape off of Mazzy, and
used it to seal up the entrance, and shoved Mazzy in.  We heard silence.
Then we heard movement.  Then we heard terrified mouse sqeeks.  "Ah ha!  She
got it!" shouted a gleeful SO.  Mazzy scratched on the tape to be let out.
The mouse followed suit and soon both of them were lying side by side
beneath the end table, scratching at the tape to be let out.

My SO eventually caught the absolutely 100% unharmed mouse in a jar.  So
apparently, from my experience, I would have to say that my SO is a far
better hunter than my ferret.

I just saw Iams' Eukanuba for cats at the pet store (where my So the Mighty
Hunter dropped a bag of Rabbit Food on the only piece of sharp metal in the
entire store and split it open).  This food is new, isn;t it?  It was VERY
pricey, but the ingredients seemed above par.  I think the first three or
four ingredients were meat, followed by some type of grain, and then a few
more meaty ingredients.  There was no kitten variety, only cat, but it had
34% protein and 21% fat.  Seems like it would be a darn good food for
ferrets ... but it was something like $22.00 for 6.5 lbs, so we left it
there.  Has anyone tried this on their ferrets yet?

Sheena
Wherret Ferrets Halfway House and Ferretry
Ferret Association of Greater Vancouver