From:
Bill & Laura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 00:26:17 -0700
Hi all just a quick rescue update,

Not much time to write, but thought I would update everyone with how
the rescued kids were doing. All but one is now out of quarantine and
they seem to enjoy the hammocks and the woodshaving-free environment.
Many of the goopy eyes and sniffly nosed kids are starting to clear up
now. One of the naked girls had her adrenal surgery and is recovering
well. Overall the health level is improving.

We've had volunteers help with the ferrets with the rotten, rotten
teeth by cleaning off as much gunk as possible. We are probably going
to be able to save some of the teeth that looked hopelessly lost
before they spent hours working on them

Local people and Internet folks have been very kind. Totally Ferret,
The Petco Foundation, Pingford's Porridge and SOS have stepped up to
help procure supplies and get these ferrets on a decent diet. All of
the them are finally getting enough protein to blow their coats and
boy are they shedding!! People have helped clean, move cages, and
helped name all these kids. (Forgive me if I've missed you!)

Many of the ferrets will be ready for adoption in the near future.
The website will probably take a while to be updated and we need to
do photos of everyone...that can be a process.

Our biggest hurdle right now are the people who went over to take
ferrets from the initial situation with the intent to resell them for
money. We are trying to get the man with 24 ferrets in a fish tank
investigated in Boise. He is probably unrelated to the initial rescue,
but isn't doing the animals any good by selling them for $30 and
keeping them in a urine soaked environment. There are sick and
cancerous ferrets there and he is not treating any of them. In fact he
offers if you buy a healthy one, you can get a sick one for free!!! A
volunteer went over and said there isn't any visible food/water source.
We're working with local animal authorities about it, but it isn't easy
or fast. Wondering if they were better off at the Morrison residence in
this case and that's saying a lot!

We did find a ferret in the rescue with a microchip from our shelter.
Just another piece of evidence that the person with all the ferrets did
not actively seek owners, and another nice piece of evidence to show
that the ferrets DID NOT come from a pet store in Arizona or New Mexico
or whatever the story was (not that it was believable in the first
place). The sad part is, this ferret was from a pair, and we did not
get his original bonded cagemate in the bunch we have here.

Bill and I and the volunteers are hanging in there, and we know many of
the shelters run at numbers much higher than what we have right now. We
are just new to a large influx and hope that we can soon contact the
media and get some coverage. I'm waiting on a go for that, so that they
can soon be placed into homes.

This will be posted on our blog as well if you want to reference it at
a later date. www.emmettferret.org/blog or follow us on twitter for
fast updates emmettferrret

Thank you,
Emmett Ferret Shelter