From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:07:53 -0500
Hello Freddie,

I have heard this claim over & over & over again over the past years.,

We HAVE been running ALPINE XL ozone air cleaning systems at since 1998
whe we learnbed about them at ferret shows.  To date we have NOT had any
negative experiences in sheltering or living with these systems ( 3 of
them in a 3400 sq ft building) in fact, our ferrets are now living until
ages 9,10 plus even though they are in a controlled environment with
ozone machines.

While I have read the claims I also have lived this experience.  We may
have a slightly different issue here as the building is OLD the original
portion constructed in 1892... with additions added at later dates.
There are cracked walls with horsehair plaster etc.  However both my
husband, myself numerous cats & dogs gave resided here along with ferrets
and you would think that after 8 plus years we would be having or seeing
these drastic health claims.  I was a chronic sinus infection patient and
have not had near the issues with sinuses with these machines running,
nor have I had bronchial problems which were a part of the past.!

To date we have not evidenced any respiratory illnesses in humans or
animals and with anywhere form 40 - 70 animals on a given day , with
multiple litter boxes et al, the air does not knock you over on the
hottest of summer days.  Anyone who has visited our shelter can tell you
that there seems to be no ill affects with the machine running.  The
agricultural inspector has only commended our shelter facility..  and
found not a single infraction over the years.

There are things that need to be done having these units - like regular
cleaning of these air cleaners to clean up residue which is generated by
urine particles in the air etc.

Overall I am very thankful for the systems we have.  I have NOT had
anything to do with lower level commercial machines- I understand they
are not even meant to be cleaned so that is a worry to me.

Alicia Drakiotes
www.ferretwise.org