From:
ferretlove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:46:34 -0400
I need to put my two cents in here too.  I have done it for almost a
year.  My rewards are the little furkids that I see each week and
recognize me.  To have one want to take me to the hidey hole.  Then the
kisses I receive from the kids.  Those are the biggest rewards.  The
ferrets get to know you and you get to see where they came in so bad off
and then go back out to forever homes where they really care.  I have
fostered and just lost him this past Monday.  I had to take him to the
shelter to see his other mother there.  It was hard to loose him.  But it
was worth the time I have spent with him.  I think I never did all the
volunteering I would not of had that opportunity.  I am grateful for that
chance.  I like to nurse the older kids and show them the love that they
deserve.  I do get thanked for the job I do but I do not really need it I
feel I am making a difference to the kids.  If I did not have to work I
would not mind running a shelter my self.  I cater all my animals.  I
have horses that were abused before I got them and have come a long way
with them.  I have adopted a cat that some one thru in a fire that was
badly burned.  My rewards in all the time and money spent in them is the
affection they show me for my efforts.  I also know that the shelter
operators have a hard time with all that has to be done all the soup
feedings every few hours for some of the kids.  There is no way they can
do all that needs to be done on their own.  They need help with the bills
and the chores of living with these little critters that steal you hearts
all the time.  Don't get me wrong some do it all on their own.  But if
the burden can be shared it is not such a heavy load for one person.
Some think I am crazy to work my 8 hours nights and then come home take
care of my business and then go and spend the time at the shelter.  Then
drag home and feed my family and hit the bed after being up 24 hours.  To
me they have no idea what it is like to help in holding one of those sick
kids and see the response that they give you for knowing you are there
and you do care.  I do it for the kids not the operator.  Yet I think
very highly of the operator and think of her as a mom all the way around.
She is a special lady to put the kids in front of her own needs.  Not
many people out there like that.  Volunteering also gives you knowledge
that you don't get the chance to learn otherwise.  I recommend it to
anyone that really cares for ferrets and their well being.  Give an hour
or two a week if possible.  If you had a bad experience look to see what
could have caused it.  The operators have bad days too just like the rest
of us they are humans too.  That or go to another shelter and volunteer
there.  Trina