From:
Michael Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 10:53:00 PST
I haven't been able to keep up on reading my FML so I don't know whats
been said about this, but I noticed someone was discussing Veggie
Ferrets and I thought I'd add my 2 cents...

We have two ferrets that were raised for two years on a vegitarian diet,
not meat-based food plus veggies, but a specially made vegitarian cat
food. Before I'm flamed for endangering the lives of my ferrets with
some off the wall new age food, the food was scientifically developed to
contain all the stuff (vitamin, nutrients, fats, proteins) that are
needed by cats.  Before we started using the food, we looked into the
development of the food and were quite impressed.  They also told us that
it was developed with ferrets in mind as well as cats, and that they
recommended it for ferrets.  Anyway, we were convinced that this was a
sound diet for cats and ferrets.

As for how our ferrets did on the food, I'd say great.  Our vet said they
looked perfectly health.  They were raised on it from about 1 month to
about 2 years.  We stopped using it for money reasons.
As you might know, veggie dog food is readily available at most any pet
store, but veggie cat food is not.  the food had to be mail ordered from
the company in Minn. (Evolution) and the price and inconvienience became
too much for us.

Anyway, I'd like to know know if anyone else out there has raised a
ferret on a pure veggie diet (or are we the only ones)?

Vivian, Mike, Cupid & Hobbes