From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 06:41:25 EST
Laura,

The symptoms sound most like an insulin-secreting tumor - the pawing at
the mouth, stupor, and drooling.  The Felovite may be keeping the blood sugar
level up at the moment so that Mac isn't having any seizures.  I could better
evaluate Mac's condition if I could get a copy of the bllodwork results from
your vet.  Insulinomas are best treated by surgery, if Mac is strong enough to
stand it.

The next time you see one of these fits, get some Karo corn syrup and
rub it on his gums as you are taking him to the vet.  We want to draw a blood
sample DURING one of these fits, so that we are better able to isolate what is
going wrong.  If you wait until he is feeling better, then most of the levels
have returned to  the normal range.  Insulinomas are often intermittent in their
signs, and you have to catch them when the problems are occurring if you want to
nail the diagnosis.

If you can get a copy of the blood results, my FAX machine  is (202)
782-9150.

Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (202)
782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000