From:
Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:20:38 -0500
Hello all.

Alechia, re. vohmitting.  Snoopy, the one we lost about a month or so ago,
was a perpetual vohmitter (sp).  When we first got her it was regular as
clockwork about 3 times a week.  It took months before this slowed down.
The vet didn't know what was up.  She never really stopped vohmitting
completely but it only occurred about once every two months or so, unless
something stressfull happened.  Stress, as in humans, is translated
differently in every individual.  Snoopy's tolerance was low and if her
routine was changed, or we changed her room (once we changed her playroom to
another and even though we put everything into exactly the same place only
in a different room, it made a difference), etc.  she reacted by vohmitting.
The one change that didn't seem to matter was changing her bedding but we
did that once a week at least so she got used to that.  She was a nervous
little critter and it manifested itself in vohmitting (at least this is my
diagnosis).  She even had Helicobacter a few months before she died.  I am
surprised that she did not have this ages ago.

Lorali, not eating while in the cage.  Our Scooter is like this.  For this
reason we have him out as much as possible, even when we go away.  The only
time he is caged is at night.  They are all caged for their own safety (and
so we can sleep - we have 9 plus a dog).  He will not eat or drink a single
thing.  It worries me a great deal, especially since he is so thin to begin
with.  He can't affort to lose weight.  If we have to travel and take the
crew with us, he is last to be caged and the first to come out because he
just won't eat.  He also doesn't eat very much throughout the day, even
though he loves his food so what I do just before he goes to bed is give him
a hefty portion of duck soup, which he loves, with lots of liquid and he
eats immediately when he gets out in the morning.  Sometimes I give him some
Ensure before I go to work in the morning.  This seems to keep him going.
Doesn't mean I stop worrying about him though.

Hope this helps.

Tryntje and the gang.