From:
Red Wing Fan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:15:33 -0400
I have a ferret who has been having problems with her sugar.  She had
a couple nasty attacks a couple months ago, so she took Pred for about
three weeks and then was back to normal.  Well in the last three days her
sugar has dropped so many times I can't count and she isn't bouncing back
like she did before.  I have kept her warm with hot water bottles as her
temp keeps dropping.  I am syringe feeding her a mix of dextrose,
nutri-cal and AD every hour or so around the clock.  She will get a
little better and then just as fast will crash again.  She is getting
sub-q liquids with vitamin B to keep her hydrated.  I am just at a loss
as what I should do.  Is she going to get better?  Is what I am doing
actually helping her or just prolonging the inevitable?  I have had two
ferrets, Skeeter and Tilly, put to sleep in the last two months and I
just don't know if I can handle another loss, but I also don't want her
to suffer.  My vet doesn't seem overly optimistic that she is going to
pull through this, but also wants to make sure that we give her every
chance.  While I love my vet and trust her, I am just wondering what
others think and maybe to find others who have been through something
similar to this.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris